The Countdown to Summer has Begun

My daughter has 4 weeks and counting until summer starts. What am I going to do with 2 kids home all day, everyday, all summer long? And what do I remember most about being a kid and my summers? Summer to me, means flexibility in schedules, and being outside and staying up late. After ending Spring Break a little disappointed that I didn't focus on more activities that I wanted to do with the kids, I am creating a cup with summer activities that I am writing on Popsicle sticks. We will pull 3 each week and plan our week around those activities. The amusement park, beach days, cooking, reading, and craft projects will all be attained and I feel with this plan we will all have a fun fulfilling summer.

Here are some ideas:

Before school ends, post a calendar of park meet ups so the kids can see their friends throughout the summer and you don't have to entertain a bunch of kids in your own home. You can get to know more of the parents,etc. This has been very fun for the co-op I have attended in the past, and a really nice and simple way to have the kids stay connected. There are also events that communities put on that you can make a point to attend without monopolizing bedtimes.

Start a book club. I realized just in one week of not reading or writing over spring break herself (only being read to)she was already struggling trying to get back into the swing of things upon returning to school. Most libraries have summer reading plans, with fund activities to celebrate at the end. There are reading websites and suggested reading lists. Make sure you pick out books for your audience. My daughter while reading Pippy Longstocking this year started sleeping with her head at the foot of the bed and her feet sticking out, just to try out what being Pippy is all about. While my son on the other hand enjoyed the where's Waldo type of books where you have to find something hiding in the pictures, and the sense of accomplishment when he found it.

My parents both worked full time, but I still enjoyed summer camps, overnights, play dates and the great weather outdoors. If you are working there are lots of great full time camps. Check out your local parks and recreation department. There are great shorter camps too, where if your kids are into sports they can focus on skills development for a full week, or art or dance, even science, but it can get pricey. Don't forget all the things you don't have time for during the school year with balancing homework, family schedules and after school activities and classes, like possibly music, or cooking classes. If you live near the beach, I know parents who have nightmares about signing their kids up for the junior guards programs, but the kids really enjoy it.

If you are able to be home with the kids make sure to tire yourself and those kids out so you all sleep well. This means get outside. (don't forget the sunscreen)
Set up sprinklers on a hot day.
Go to the beach.
Hiking
Break out the bikes.
Roller skating.
Tree climbing.
Crafts (if you aren't crafty there are a tone of ideas on Pinterest).
Get messy. You can wear less clothes in warmer weather, so let the kids get dirty and wet, they have so much fun doing so.

I have one word of caution, and this is a big one for me: don't be so scheduled that you don't give yourself plenty of time to relax. This is my biggest obstacle. I always over schedule. Make sure you get movies, have a bonfire in your backyard or on the beach, stay in your pajamas all day. If you can find someone with a projector you can borrow and you have a good exterior wall, an outdoor movie is fantastic. Break out the sleeping bags and beach chairs and make some popcorn and the kids will fall asleep cozy next to each other at the movies (especially since drive ins are few and far between).

Another memorable activity is going away for a week to summer camp. I think I was 9 when I started this. We slept at a camp not too far out of town, out under the stars without a tent. It was incredible. I enjoyed the whole week there. This specific camp was through 4-H (another organization I really enjoyed being involved in), but I know there a lot of other camps through churches and other organizations as well. To all, I hope you enjoy this process of what you remember being memorable about your summers and noticing if it's the same things your kids enjoy or not! Happy planning! ~Perry Mama
Pin It!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toddler and Preschool Co-op's where Families Blossom

Best Picture Hanging Tips I Have Found

New Years, Letting Go of the Past so you can Embrace the Future