Homemade Halloween Decor

I have been a little more motivated in creating some decorations this year for Halloween.  I mean we are in a house that we own now, so I can make things to fit our specific space.

We live in the mountains and don't get many or possibly any trick or treators according to the neighbors.  But I think there is something festive about decorating for the people that might be driving by.  More importantly, I think the kids get a kick out of it.  Although it's been a bit difficult explaining to a 3 and 6 year old why scary décor is kind of fun, or even why being scared is fun. Have you tried to explain what a zombie is to a 6 year old? I didn't get a lot of reassurance it was understood. I finally used my favorite book recommendation site, A Mighty Girl, (I have a boy too and still: great title recommendations) and ordered a bunch of books from the library for their age groupings and hopefully that will help explain some of the concepts more in stories.

I think the first thing that is unique about our house is that you can't see it from the street, so really all we have is a fence along our driveway to decorate for what people might see driving by.  I hung the spider web along the fence line and got the plastic spider rings and put them in it.  I found a free printable on a google image search about Broom parking. I printed it on regular printer paper in color and modge podged it to a piece of wood that my husband cut out perfectly for me and hung on the fence like a parking sign, I thought it was fitting since that is all we have on the street level.  My husband found some sticks and trimmed them up for me and I bought some raffia from the craft store to tie on the end and create brooms, which we hung next to the broom parking sign.  I also found a cardboard witch hat that I covered with spider fabric and  modge podge which is also hung on the fence just before you walk in the gate.  Here's how it turned out, brooms are a little different from each other, but cute.


The other thing I got while at the craft store is the quarters of fabric, I think they are put together for quilting possibly, but I decided to buy some with some ribbon to make a nice garland border along the fence as you walk in.  I picked out the best Halloween type of fabric I could locate.  Now the big picture doesn't look as polished as I had hoped, but I hope to learn how to accent our walkway a bit better with it next year.

Do you like the real spider webs in the corners of the fence, ha!
 
Last year I made an orange and black tulle wreath with pipe cleaner spiders wound around it.  I love making the décor myself instead of buying expensive décor in the stores.  It's cheaper and you get more satisfaction out of the time you spend putting into it.


 
Lastly, I hope it doesn't rain which I might tonight and ruin my modge podged signs. 
 
 
Fingers crossed,
 
Perry Mama (click to follow me on Pinterest)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toddler and Preschool Co-op's where Families Blossom

Best Picture Hanging Tips I Have Found

New Years, Letting Go of the Past so you can Embrace the Future